The case study is usually written in the social sciences and life sciences. It is a research method that involves in-depth research about a subject. The contextual conditions of this subject are also discussed in the case study. We can easily formulate a case study by following the formal research method. That’s why most of the case studies appear in formal research venues like journals and professional conferences. While writing the case study, you will have to study a case. This case can be relevant to an individual person or it can also be relevant to an organization. Here the professional writer from our team sheds light on the types of cases study. If you are not able to write down the best quality case study, you can get case study writing help, tips and format, the layout of the case study from this article.
Types of case studies
There are several types of case studies and there are also several types of subjects of these case studies. Each type of case study is based on a different hypothesis. Some essential types of case studies are explained below;
The main focus of the explanatory case study is on the explanation of a question or a hypothesis. If you are going to write a case study about humans, it can’t be explanatory. Its reason is that to write a case study about humans. You will have to take an overview of lots of variables. On the other hand, if you want to write an event case study, it can be explanatory. For example, if researchers are going to write a case study about the failure of an event, they can easily write it by adopting an explanatory case study writing technique. For this reason, they prepare a detailed report about the failure of this event. After that, they investigate the actions that become the cause of this failure. At last, they also provide an idea of how to prevent this kind of failure.
An exploratory case study is a precursor of a large-scale research project. The main aim of writing the exploratory case study is to prove that further investigation is required to prove a specific event. Mostly, exploratory case studies are written in psychology and other social sciences. Its reason is that almost all the psychologists are looking for new ways to treat their patients. With the help of exploratory case study writing techniques, they can find out new ways to conduct research to find out new ideas and theories relevant to their subject.
To write a collective case study, it is necessary for the writers to gather information from multiple resources. After gathering information from these resources, they are in a better position to formulate the case for the new study. After getting information from the previous studies, they are not only able to save their time but they are also able to save their money. While writing the collective case study, it is also easy for the students to write the similarities as well as differences about a specific topic idea. The main aim of writing the collective case study is to gather the data from previous studies in order to formulate a general investigation about the issue.
Intrinsic case study
An intrinsic case study provides an opportunity for students to learn. The students can write a case study either about an individual or a group. The case of the intrinsic case study is such that it explores the primary interest of the case. While writing the intrinsic case study, the students have to present their findings in the form of values, attitudes, and perspectives.
Instrumental case study
If you want to gain an insight into a specific topic idea, you will have to write an instrumental case study. For example, if a researcher wants to get an idea about the interest of the students towards exercise, he will have to choose a school and focus on the students of this group. There is no need for the researcher to develop exercise programs in this school. The researcher just needs to get an idea about the relationship between students and exercise.
Illustrative case study
This is known as a primary and descriptive case study. To write such a case study, the researchers have to utilize two instances. After utilizing these instances, the researchers have to get an idea about the likeness of these instances. The main aim of writing the illustrative case study is to explore those facts that are unfamiliar to the readers. The readers and researchers can also get a common language about the topic of the case.
Critical instance case study
Sometimes, the students are asked to write a case study by exploring the causes and effects of a particular case. This kind of case study is known as a critical instance case study. This case study is written to examine the interest of the readers.
By using this method, the students gather the data by conducting formal or informal interviews. For example, if a researcher has to write a case study to examine the interest of the workers during the break in the canteen, the researcher has to conduct interviews from the workers. Moreover, a researcher can also get an idea about their interests by spending some days with them in the canteen during the break time.
Subjects of case studies
There are five major subjects of case studies. Whether you are going to write an instrumental case study or any other kind of case study, you will have to discuss one subject in your case study. These subjects are explained below;
This kind of case study has only one participant. With the help of this kind of subject, it is possible for us to determine different kinds of outcomes.
The subject of this kind of case study consists of more than one people. These people are connected with each other in the form of a group. This group can be in the form of a family, friends or coworkers.
The main focus of this kind of case study is on a particular place. While writing this case study, the researchers have to provide the answer to the question of how and why people use this place.
The main focus of this kind of case study is a particular organization. The main focus of this kind of case study is on the people who are working in an organization and a particular event which is occurring within the organization.
As we know that there happen some cultural as well as social events. In this case study, a researcher has to provide an idea about the possible effects of that event.
Tips for Writing a case study
Writing a case study is helpful for the students to examine their challenges and goals. The length and focus of the case study vary. Some essential tips for writing a case study are given below;
Determine the objectives of the case study
The main aim of writing a business case study is to determine the value of the services. Therefore, the main focus of the case study should be on the objectives of the clients. The objectives to write a case study are given below;
- It should comply with the government regulations
- It should lower the business costs
- You should try to devise such activities that are helpful to you to generate more revenue
- You should become more sustainable
Establish a case study medium
To write down the case study, it is also necessary for you to determine the medium. Its reason is that a case study is not written on a single page. To write down the case study, you can use different media. Some essential mediums to write the best quality case study are given below;
- You can write a case study in the form of an ebook and after writing it, you can convert it in the PDF format.
- You can also write a case study in the video format. One can easily create a video case study by shooting a video with the client or by shooting an interview.
- You can also write the case study in the form of infographics by shooting your story from top to the bottom.
- Podcasting is also an important medium to create your case study. This kind of case study is more real and human to the audience.
Find the right case study candidate
If you are writing a case study about yourself, there is no need to get permission from others. On the other hand, if you are going to write a case study about someone else, it is necessary for you to get his permission.
Contact the candidates for permission to write about them
After selecting the best candidate to write the case study, the next step is to get permission from him. It is possible only if you set an open and clear stage of communication with these candidates. For this reason, you will have to devise the clear plan, objective and format to write the case study. After devising the clear subject to write the case study, the chances to get permission from the candidates will be increased. In order to get permission from the candidate, you can also offer some benefits to him. Some essential benefits that you can offer to a candidate are given below;
- Brand exposure
- Employee exposure
- Product discount
- Backlinks and website traffic
Draft a case study release form
A case study release form provides a complete detail about the subject of your case study like what kind of information is required to use in the case study. Some essential points to consider while drafting the case study release form are given below;
- Why are you creating this case study?
- How will you use this case study?
- What kind of traditional trademarked information is required to write the case study?
- What are your expectations from the participants of the case study?
- Any compensation to write the case study
Ensure you are asking the right questions
In order to gather the data for your case study, you will have to ask some questions from the candidates. You should be very careful while devising questions for a case study. Some essential questions to ask in a case study are given below;
- You should ask some questions about the business of the candidate
- You should ask some questions about the needs and objectives of the business
- Ask some questions about the decision process
- Ask some questions about the implementation process
Layout case study format
After gathering enough information to write the case study, the next step is to devise it. Some essential things to consider about the format of the case study are given below;
The title of your case study should be short. You should try to devise such a topic for your case study that is succinct and interesting for the readers.
After devising the title for your case study, the next step is to devise the subtitle.
The executive summary of a case study consists of two to three sentences. In these two to three sentences, you will have to tell the entire story of your case study.
Challenges and objectives
There are some objectives and goals of an employee. While achieving these objectives and goals, they have to face some challenges. While writing the case study, it is also necessary to describe these goals, objectives and challenges into two or three paragraphs.
Product or service solution
In the two or three paragraphs of your case study, it is also necessary for you to describe how you will be able to find out the solutions to your problems.
There are some expected results of the products or services of a company. In the case study, it is necessary for you to provide an idea to the readers how your products or services will be helpful for the people or company.
In the case study, it is also necessary for you to provide an idea to the readers about the future plan of your company.
Call to action
It is optional. Anyhow, you can write it in your case study in order to encourage the readers to visit the website of your company.
Characteristics of a case study
The length, depth of research and market situation of different case studies are different. Therefore, while writing the case study, you should ensure the following characteristics;
- A case study should be written in the form of a story. It means that there should be a clear beginning and end of a case study.
- While writing a case study, you will have to follow an outline. Therefore, you should ensure a logical flow in your case study.
- The context of a case study should be such that it should provide a clear solution to a problem.
- The main focus of a case study should be towards the interest of the customers. Therefore, while writing a case study, you will have to ensure the relationship of the customers with the company.
- While writing a case study, it is also necessary for you to add some inspiring and logical actions.
- You are not writing a case study for the technical people only. Therefore, there is no need to add some technical terms in your case study. In other words, your case study should be free from the jargons.
- While writing a case study, you will have to list all the benefits of your case study. These benefits should be listed in the form of statistics. In other words, your case study should be grounded in data.
- The main aim of writing a case study is to teach a lesson to the audience members. Therefore, you should organize the case study in such a way that it should be easily swimmable for the audience members.
- In a case study, it is necessary for you to write all the results of your company.
- At the end of the case study, you should try to inspire the others. It is possible only if you have added a call to action at the end of the case study.
Advantages of a case study
If you have written a case study by ensuring all the above characteristics, you can enjoy the following advantages;
- A case study acts like an intensive study of a unit. It means that a case study will explore and investigate an event thoroughly and deeply.
- There is no sampling in the case study method. Its reason is that while writing the case study, you will have to follow all the perspectives of a social unit.
- A case study can provide a continuous analysis of a specific life event.
- It is also helpful for further studies. Its reason is that on the basis of the results of a case study, it is easy for us to formulate a new hypothesis.
- It is written on the basis of the study of unity. Therefore, it is possible for us to compare different kinds of facts with the help of a case study.
- By reading the case study, one can easily get enough analytical power to increase knowledge about a specific life event.
- It is based on the generalization of the data. Its reason is that with the help of a case study, it is easy for us to illustrate the statistical findings.
- It is also known as a comprehensive method for gathering data.
- We can also use a case study to locate the deviant cases.
- By reading the case study, it is also easy for us to formulate a questionnaire or schedule.
Limitations of a case study
Along with these benefits, there are also some limitations to a case study. These limitations are explained below;
- The focus of a case study is narrow. Therefore, we can say that a case study has limited representatives. Moreover, the generalization of a case study is also impossible for us.
- While writing the case study, we have to study a small unit. Due to this small unit, the classification of a case study is also impossible.
- While writing the case study, you will have to memorize some things and you will have to make some judgments. Due to these reasons, there is a possibility of some errors while writing the case study.
- We can write a case study by adopting the subjective method only. In other words, there is no possibility of the objective method while writing the case study.
- To write the case study is a very difficult method. Therefore, it is very hard for a layman to write the case study.
- Due to the narrow social unit, there is a possibility of biasing and discrimination while writing a case study.
- The method of case study just depends upon the situation. Therefore, there are no fixed limits of investigation to write the case study.
- Gathering the data for a case study is more expensive than gathering the data for other academic papers.
A research method which requires in-depth research to gather the data for a specific topic is known as a case study. There are different kinds of case studies like explanatory case studies, exploratory case studies, collective case studies and instrumental case studies etc. There are five groups to write a case study. These five groups are person, group, organization, event and location. One can easily create the best quality case study by determining the objectives of the case study, determining the medium of the case study, getting permission from the candidate and following the appropriate structure.
There are some benefits of writing a case study like it tells the whole story, it has a logical flow, it resolves a problem, and it presents inspiring actions. The main limitations to write a case study are that it is written in the subjective form only, it has limited representations, and it has no fixed limits.