A survey of the scholarly resources on a specific topic is the literature review. With the help of the literature review, the writers have to provide an overview of the current knowledge. It also allows the writers to identify relevant theories and methods. It is also the best way to find out the gaps in the existing literature. To write the literature review, the students have to find out the relevant publications. After finding the relevant publications, they have to critically analyze these publications. At last, you will have to explain your findings. If you want to create the best quality literature review, you should not try to summarize the resources. Instead of summarizing the sources, you should try to synthesize these resources.
Format for Structuring a Literature Review:
Before writing the literature review, you will have to understand the structure of the literature review. The structure of a literature review consists of three parts. Here, experts of The Academic Papers UK will discuss these three parts one by one.
It is the first part of the literature review chapter of a dissertation. For example, if you will have to write a 10,000 words dissertation, literature review section should consist of 3,000 words. These 3,000 words make 30% of the dissertation. While formatting the literature review, you will have to write the introduction. The introduction of the literature review should consist of 10% of the word count of the literature review. If you will have to write 3,000 words in the literature review, you should include 300 words in the introduction. In the introduction of the literature review, you should include the following things:
- First of all, you will have to briefly define your research topic. After briefly defining your research topic, you can organize the main principle of the discussion.
- There are some reasons and aims to write the literature review. You should mention these aims and reasons in the literature review chapter of the dissertation.
- You should also mention it concisely how this research will lead towards the dissertation’s topic.
- While researching finding suitable literature, you will have to include and exclude some resources. You should mention the reasons for the inclusion and exclusion of these resources.
- When you will read different resources relevant to your topic idea, you will find gaps in your research. You should also mention these gaps. While mentioning these gaps, you should also explain how you will fill these gaps.
After the introduction, you will have to write the discussion in the literature review chapter. The length of the discussion should be 80% of the whole length of the literature review. Here, we are taking an example of 3,000 words literature review. If you are writing 3,000 words literature review, you should include 2,400 words in the discussion. These 2,400 words make 80% of the 3,000 words. While writing the discussion of the literature review section, you should follow these tips.
- The students should follow the summarization and synthesis process. They should provide an overview of the main points of all the sources. While providing an overview of the main points of these sources, they should combine them coherently.
- In the discussion part of the literature review section, they should also try to analyze and interpret the sources. They should not paraphrase sources of the other researchers. They can also add their interpretations in the literature review chapter. The students should also provide the significance of the findings. They should relate the significance of the findings to the whole literature.
- Critical evaluation of the sources is also necessary. With the help of critical evaluation, they can mention the strengths and weaknesses of the sources.
- While writing the discussion of the literature review, they should create the well-structured paragraphs. They should draw solid connections between all the paragraphs. To draw the solid connections between all the paragraphs, they can use transition words and topic sentences. They can also use these words for comparison and contrast.
These are the general tips to write a discussion in the literature review. The students have to follow these tips to create the best quality content for the literature review. Along with following these tips, they should keep in mind the logical flow of the content. To ensure the logical flow of the content, first of all, they should analyze and evaluate the literature. After that, they should commence the discussion from the main subject area. At last, they should lead the evaluation to the specific research problem.
At last, you will have to write a conclusion in the literature review section. As we know that in the conclusion, we have to summarize the main findings. While writing the conclusion of the literature, we should also follow the same technique. We should summarize the main findings of the literature. Moreover, we should also emphasize the significance of these findings. The length of the conclusion should 10% of the length of the whole length of the literature review. Just like the introduction, you should also write 300 words in the 3,000 words literature review. While writing the conclusion, you should follow some tips.
- In the conclusion, the students should provide an overall perception of the dissertation’s topic.
- They should also summarize the key points that they have evaluated in the discussion section.
- They can also provide an outline of the issues. At last, you should not forget to include the recommendations for future work.
You can read also
After following these tips, you can easily create the best structure and format for your literature review. After finishing it, you should not forget to revise it. Moreover, you should also proofread it. As we know that proofreading is the best way to remove all the mistakes. If you want to ensure the quality of the literature review, you should keep in mind some essential things. First, you should make it clear and concise. Secondly, you should gather information from a wide range of sources. Thirdly, you should provide a clear comparison and contraction of the sources. Fourthly, you should include only relevant headings and topics in the literature review.